Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Marriage - Epitome to the Union of Souls? Nah....

Let me firstly clear the fact that, I DO respect Wedlock., for how else could we all have sprung up to legally survive in this Wonderful World that we call home!

However that coining of a relationship has had its jolts ever since it came into being.

Submission, sacrifice, sensitivity have all been a negative offing from such a definition.

It seems to be the 'Perfect Ending towards a New Beginning' for all..

As ironical as the above line sounds, how else do u define falling in love with that one person and confirming it thru "The Holy matrimonial"

I personally have had many friends enter Holy union in the recent past and soon seem stressed, pressed for space, whine over the fat money they made which seemed to disappear sooner than the beer they downed over evenings.
Yet, there are a few who are content to the new reason in their life.. and Yet seem stressed!!!

Is it the culture today I wonder that has changed things or has it been this way long before I could start thinking wise…
I’m sure it’s the latter.

Relationships between a couple in Wedlock seemed pretty stable and taken for granted in weddings which occurred 30 years ago....but recently it has sought a more demanding / jeopardizing attention from the persons involved in it.

Could it be changes in Earning power or Changes in lifestyles that earning power brings about?

I believe it is the changes in lifestyles that Earning power bringeth forward in modern times.

Like they say, money is the evil of all sins, or was it me who coined that cliché as I type now,
Well it truly is……..

Let me speak on India for starters
As long ago to how far my memory goes, Marriages had Dowries as a foundation to begin with.,
Isn’t here where the man lost all his respect? Why would he need to be paid to love someone?

The bride and her family took it for granted that they would have to foot a deposit for a long term loan.
See… didn’t I mention that money ruins it all…

With dowry becoming illegal over time, the brides who eventually got married really thought the chap was taking her into his life since he really loved her., seldom would she know that as she continued to work after the union, she’d have to pay half her salary to pay off his lavishness!!
Trust me - I have come across such stories

In today’s age where every young man/woman in the ripe age is ready for the union, they mostly know what they’re getting into but still continue to not be able to handle it well when they are into it.

There are many ways one could argue as to why a relationship doesn’t stay stable.

But lets get back to the subject of this write up really.
Is marriage really a perfect ending to a new beginning.
"Why cant people just love each other, live with each other and walk away when they’re bored"?
Did I just shock you all??

Peep within yourself. I’m sure you have this thought in your deepest darkest desires..
Many of us tend to not respect our deepest wants since it brings forward an intimidation of us beginning to have immoral thoughts and then we slap ourselves on the face and say ‘Hey what was I thinking’


No, don’t mistake me here, I do respect wedlock as I quoted in the very beginning.
But I sometimes find it funny to see my friends groan over it.

Why! Just last week a few otherwise bold men had shaky legs when the clock cooed 11:00 pm and they realized their wives were awaiting their drunken and smoked presence a little too late than promised…. It was the following day I heard stories of how these bold men eventually pleaded guilty to their sins on the crime scene the previous night and had to coax their way out to getting a clean slate again!!

Took a few bars of chocolates and promises of dinners I heard ;)

This I have not seen in relationships, where the couple are defined as a boyfriend and a girlfriend, there is certainly more space in that bond.

There also are many perceptions to marriage in itself . You can read stories of married couples being ok with each other flirting away or worse being involved with someone else. It just seems so casual.

Changes in Lifestyles are a spoiler
Cinema and Television does bend the mind a little., what with all those silly serials on TV showing immoral themes, couples today even have wild parties where they swap each other.
For others it would be taboo.

But again, “we are all individuals and we have our Unique perception on leading life.”

As one of my friends rightly said, Marriage is a union in which, each of the couple need to work on the relationship everyday and be sensitive to other’s feelings…….I believe she’s very true.


Don’t tread on each other’s personal lives would be my advice.
Trust each other, it doesn’t really work otherwise.
Remember – You don’t own the other person!!

Well at the end of it all...I think it was god’s will to just have people pronounce legality in the bond and have legal offspring’s towards a stable little world we call home :-)

So what with all this, how does one really define the Union?
The Argument is never ending.


Arvind Dwarakanath.

1 comment:

Shenga Boys said...

This is some writing, really liked the way you opened this subject in various direction.